About Me

My photo
PhD Student University of Bristol

Wednesday 2 May 2012

I'm a Rocket Man


My first wild rocket plant!
It's taken some patience and some optimistic leaf nibbling (not recommended!) but I've finally found my first batch of Perennial Wall Rocket. In the battle of 'Forager vs Weed' yours truly has prevailed victorious.

Nettles, sorrel and bittercress are brilliant in their own right but finding and eating truly wild rocket is incomparable. Supermarkets sell minuscule bags of the stuff for as much as a couple of quid, so as I bagged myself a bunch for free I justifiably felt pretty smug. The only price I had to pay were a few disapproving looks from passers by as I squatted on the pavement with an old carrier bag chewing weeds.

Diplotaxis tenuifolia grows to about half a metre above ground. Between May and September it produces hermaphrodite, yellow flowers typical of its compadres in the brassica family. The seeds then usually ripen between Jun and October. In most cases supermarket rocket is a completely different species (Eruca vesicaria sativa) but in my humble opinion D. tenuifolia is tastier as it has a stronger, nuttier flavour.

The beninning of the ultimate salad...
These little rascals could be added with other foraged spring leaves such as dandelion, sorrel, corn salad, hairy bittercress, sea beet and wild garlic. If you're cooking for your lady friend and want to really impress with your manly foraging skills, but also want to demonstrate your feminine caring side then use wild garlic flowers. The white petals will work beautifully as a poncey but edible garnish -just don't use too many otherwise your breath may well nullify your seductive preparation!


No comments:

Post a Comment